During the process of creating the health care chatbot Florence, we found out that we can’t use the technology to its full potential due to various problems with the current state of the healthcare system. You as a patient should be in control of your healthcare data and a chatbot should support the private, secure and continuous communication between you and your healthcare provider network. However, with the current technology that isn’t possible. That is why we started to experiment with Iota. So, we have a huge interest in improving the technology for sharing data with the help of the tangle.
Chiota is an IOTA Xamarin Chat App based on Felandils C# .NET Port of the IOTA lib, who also helped with this app, Steppenwolfe65 NTRU-NET and jamesmontemagnos MonkeyChat.
The goal is to create a quantum secure chat app, in which you are the owner of your own data and nobody else!
Chiota doesn’t use the MAM Layer for sending secure messages. Instead, it uses the NTRU Encryption (see NTRU Key Exchange for IOTA for more details). There are several reasons for that:
- NTRU or some other form of key exchange is needed for the MAM-Layer anyway
- For the MAM Layer, you have a lot of different transactions and currently, the proof-of-work takes really long, so the goal is to reduce the number of necessary transactions
- You need to store the state of the MAM Layer (root hash, channel keys, etc.). If you want to store these things quantum secure on the tangle it results in more messages and therefore additional PoW
The disadvantage of the current system:
- You are limited to 105 characters per transaction because the NTRU encryption needs more space
- Advances in cryptanalysis may at some point break NTRU
Source: David Hawig; https://github.com/Noc2/Chiota